February 14, 2013

Music with Friends.

I've been playing music and singing with LL since he was born, but it wasn't until the last few months that a love of music has really exploded in him.

It started with Music With Friends. A friend and I used Dibble Dibble Dee's great website to plan a little music class for our boys--we sang and danced and shook our maracas and the boys couldn't get enough. They loved it! Since then, I've been singing the Music with Friends Down on the Farm playlist with LL at home--all the songs have some type of movement to go with. Since then, in down times, I'll catch him playing the songs on his little V-Tech helicopter, and dancing around to the beat!

These are a few of our favorite songs and albums to listen and dance to (I just make sure the blinds are closed first ;):

1. Florence + the machine//dog days are over
2. Sandra Boynton's Philadelphia Chickens 
3. Dave Matthews (anything!)
4. Crazy Noise by Hillsong Kids Jr. 

We also love these Sesame Street songs on YouTube:





I'd be the first to tell you I am not musically talented--far, far from it! But LL doesn't know the difference now, and one of the best things I can do for him is impart a love of music--and that I do have!  

What about you? What songs do you love to sing with your kids? What do you do to help them love music?

***



Mommy-Brain Mixer

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out that site. Gwendolyn is SO musical and we've been exposing her to a wide array of genres and ways to express her musicality, but I would love to have something a little more official.

    I love that you have Florence and the Machine on there! I like that Gwen not only knows kid songs but also classical (she loves Bach and she loves the Nutcracker) and some of my faves (select Regina Spektor, Death Cab, and Arcade Fire songs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I need to add some classical and jazz to our rotation! Regina Spektor for the win!

      Delete
  2. This is a great list. My little guys (and I) LOVE their music class, and we've started having some fun dancing to music at home as well. I can see that this might be a new favorite post of theirs with all these great songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) LL has actually started asking for some of the songs by name, now!

      Delete
  3. Sarah, those "music videos"! We have whiled away many a looooooong last hour before Dad gets home from work with those same clips. It takes alot of 3 minutes to make 60 minutes! Also, I nominated you for a Liebster : ) http://marytboctor.blogspot.com/2013/02/leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I know about that long last hour before dad gets home from work! Ha!
      And thank you so much for the nomination--you made my day :D.

      Delete
  4. My daughter is in LOVE with the Feist song! She says "do one, two, three, four!" Thanks for the follow. I'm following back.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! No seriously, I do!