January 8, 2014

Book Review 2013: Better Late Than Never!


I love books. This past year, I've been able to read a few more books than the year before, which was like--zero. Without further adieu, here are the books I read in 2013:  



Cutting for Stone, Abraham Verghese
You crack open a book, and you begin to read. One sentence, two sentences, then--that delicious, magical thought this is going to be a good one. That was this book.

Bel Canto, Ann Patchett
Lovely and pleasant and intellectually stimulating--but not in the hard to read way :).  
Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen 
Not the first time I've read it, but probably one of my favorite re-reads. Reading it again for this.
The Book Thief, Markus Zuzak
I love this book just for how unique it is--rather, for how unique the narrator is.


The Pale Horse, Agatha Christie 
I l-o-v-e me a good Agatha Christie mystery, and this was no exception. (I read many Christies, but won't list them all here :).
The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan
Chinese culture is so fundamentally different than American culture. This book was engaging for many reasons, but especially for sharing it in story form.
Oleander Girl, Chitra Banerjee Divakarun
Another story about a different culture intersecting American culture. An easy read.
Child 44, Tom Rob Smith
Great mystery.


Clouds of Witness and The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, Dorothy Sayers

&
Five Red Herrings, Dorothy Sayers
It feels wrong to put anything by Dorothy Sayers in this category, but--there you have it. "Meh." 
The Light Between Oceans, M.L. Stedman
It started out interesting, but I just couldn't really get involved with the characters.
The Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood
Didn't finish this. Wouldn't start it if I were you. 
The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds, Alexander McCall Smith
I finished this, but I thought it was fairly uninteresting. Too much philosophizing, perhaps?

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, Robin Sloan
Interesting at first, and then I got lost somewhere in the middle. It got weird, but in a weird way. 

Have you read any of my 2013 books? Have any suggestions for 2014? Share! 



  photo blogsig_zps7a5eac24.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I read 99% non-fiction and the fiction I do read is usually free Amazon downloads (self-published ones that aren't very good). I'm going to try to read a few of your suggestions. I have The Book Thief on hold at my library (the ebook version) so hopefully I'll get a coppy soon (I'm something like 160 on the hold list though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I've read from this list is Pride & Prejudice (a million times - LOVE! There is actually a sequel that another author attempted recently, and even though nothing can compare to Jane Austen, it's worth a read). I am always looking for new reads though so I am going to have to write these down! I read the Wool Trilogy by Hugh Howey at the end of 2013 and it was the best book(s) I've read all year, if you like Hunger Games style series (but this was more adult). Couldn't put them down!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! No seriously, I do!