January 21, 2014

January Exploded


Before December was even quite over, LL had been diagnosed with Perthes and I was offered and began a new work-from-home job (I could write a whole other post about the Provision behind these things). The rest of life was on supercharge, too: my existing new job was humming, my husband's new side job was getting started, and cedar pollen was falling from the sky and taking me with it in a blaze of itching eyes and snotty sneezing.

I heard rest echo around a bit, but I gradually stopped rolling it off onto Him and started filling my agenda with carefully planned priorities. Excuse me, Lord, I'm busy doing Your work.

But yesterday, finally, I paused in the midst of business, and gave a glance His way. And He responded to me with deep mercy and tenderness. The songs that came up on shuffle (that I've included in a Grooveshark playlist below) spoke straight to my tired, overwhelmed heart.


In the past, the rest that I've craved has been a cessation of activities that have taken on more importance than was their due. This year, the things that keep us busy are right and deeply prayed over and sought for. This time, it's not a end of business that I crave, but a posture of my heart, a direction of my gaze. It's joy in the midst of worry. Peace in place of anxiety. A gentle heart, a steady heart, a deeply loving heart--the heart at rest in Him.

I suppose it was no accident he preached Rest to me when he did--I'm thankful. Haven't a clue, really, how to walk in that rest, other than to just cling tightly to him, and to his word. But that's never a bad thing, is it?

Enjoy the playlist below; it includes my all-time favorite hymn :)
 


  photo blogsig_zps7a5eac24.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about the Perthes. That must be scary.

    Congrats on the new job! I actually thought about working with Rodan and Fields when I was trying to figure out how to bring in an income and have more time with my family. I hope it works out for you.

    I like your word of the year. Mine is acceptance, but learning to rest in the Lord is a part of me accepting Him into my life in a bigger way.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! No seriously, I do!